For a quick overview of Financial Aid please click here: Financial Aid Highlights
Below is some general information about Financial Aid for College.
To get more detailed information, there is an excellent website at http://www.nasfaa.org/students_parents_counselors AND Student Aid.gov
Two Types of Financial Aid
- Gift (free aid you do not pay back)
- Scholarships = free money. See our Scholarships page
- Grants – dependent on financial need (determined by FAFSA)
- NEVER PAY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH OR WHEN FILLING OUT THE FAFSA. FAFSA website: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Self (work study and loans you do pay back)
- Federal work study (jobs on/off campus)
- Federal Perkins Loan – need based, government pays interest while in school
- Federal Stafford
- Subsidized – government pays interest while in school
- Unsubsidized – Government does not pay interest
- Stafford Limits per year
- 1st year – $5500
- 2nd year – $6500
- 3rd year – $7500
- PLUS Loan – non-need based
Everyone must fill out the FASFA - January 1 is the first day to do this.
Learn more about financial aid by view the document below.